Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Rodgers and Hammerstein.





Tuesday is Madame Bay day. At eight on the dot she was there at the kitchen door, dressed in a startling summer diaphonous creation, her arms extended wide in greeting - 'Bonjour M'Ongoose, Bonjour' . Tuesday also coincides with nostalgia hour on the local radio station .Within two minutes of her arrival all the radios in the house were tuned full blast to what turned out to be a South Pacific special. The boyz sensibly retreated outside as the windows were flung open and the air resounded to the sounds of the hoover , the occasional forceful French expletive and Madame Bays spirited renditions of 'Gonner woss zat mann rite ooza m'air', 'Eyem n'luv wiz ey wunderfool gay' and 'Apee, apee, apee, apee tok' . Oh to be born with the latin lack of self conciousness. A goal sadly beyond the reach of we northern Calvinists.

While the house and garden echoed to the sounds of Rodgers and Hammerstein, Wilf, Digby and myself started off the day with twenty minutes of hide the toy and 'biff' the swing. Wilf throws himself into these games with total ,ear flying abandon. Digby prefers to sit and watch all this rough the activity from afar. Sometimes watching them I'm almost convinced that Digby thinks that Wilf is a dog but believes that he is human.

11 comments:

  1. I think Tuesdays are my favourtie day for visiting you guys!!!...what a character! When are you going to tell her that she has a world-wide fan club?
    As for losing one's inhibitions...well...maybe it's time!
    MAXMOM IN SA

    ReplyDelete
  2. So would you say Digby's more Rodgers than Hammerstein?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i would love to see a pic of Madame Bay! she sounds like a wonderfully crazy women!
    such great pics of the boys!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the shot of the two boyz staring at the toy as if it is going to do something all on its own! And very relieved you weren't my next door neighbors the day I decided to cook to the soundtrack of PASSION by Sondheim!

    ReplyDelete
  5. To the image in all our minds of Madame Bay, now we add the tunes of Rodgers & Hammerstein ~~I can see why the Boyz retreat! You've got to get us a picture!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Madame Bay, Madame Bay... she keeps me smiling. Your boys are sensible, that's for sure.

    I love your observation that Digby thinks that he's a human... And, I love the photos, especially on the swing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That description of Wilf and Digby reminds me of Treat and Hawk. She used to watch him play with a look of such disgust on her face, as if to say "You are an embarrassment to greyhounds everywhere, playing like a common dog!"

    I still dream of seeing Madame Bay. In this instance, I suspect that the real thing is even better than my imagination. At least you only have to listen to South Pacific. My mother in law makes us all watch the old musicals when we come over!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh dear, I am a total Broadway musical freak -- and love R and H as well as all the others. Hearing Madame Bay warble 'appy,'appy tok would be an amzing addition to my repertoire!!!

    (Our cable channels include one totally dedicated to musicals -- she would be in heaven!)

    Your two boyz are doing what I call "just standing there like a dog." Immobile. Totally focused. And adorable!

    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  10. surely you can get a covert photo of madame bay. just one? :)

    the booker man's mama

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great way to spend a spring day....

    XXXOOO Daisy, Kendra & Bella

    ReplyDelete