Saturday, February 27, 2010

The trimming begins.


It's going to be 20 degrees today on the beaches in Biarritz. While we're enjoying bright sunshine the north of the country is stealing itself for 120 kilometer winds and more snow. Weird. Another sign that the climate is changing even if its not necessarily getting warmer.

The Wahl clippers came out on Wilf and Digby yesterday afternoon. You wouldn't notice it from the photos but a half bucket load of hair came off each of them ( mostly from the undercarriage and the rear) . The process will be repeated next week and the week after until they start to look less shaggy. After the kicking and beating they received in last years robbery both boyz have become nervous at being left alone in unfamiliar surroundings. I took them to the local groomer but Wilf just trembled and cried ( most unlike him and something he's never done before ) when I tried to leave. After the traumas the two of them went through that night what's the point of making them more stressed? So self-grooming it is. Happiness is paramount and their hair will grow again .

6 comments:

  1. Hey Mongoose
    Well done for self-grooming! (the dogs that is!) I've been doing it for 13 years now, having given up on abusive groomers and it has saved us all a lot of anxiety.
    Enjoy the warmth!
    C

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I think the boyz look plenty handsome, so I'd say you're doing a good job with grooming them yourself and you're right, it's not worth the stress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took Petey for a "Spaw" treatment (ie: bath) at the Red Rover dog wash yesterday. Usually he's happy to go to the groomer, although he'd never been to this one, and I hand him over and pick him up later. But yesterday, I was chatting with the owner, who I've known for years and he started heading to the door - he'd had enough. Long and short of it, I ended up staying with him while he trembled and looked at me with accusing eyes as he was bathed and his ears cleaned. Not a fan of the dryer, but he did like the gentler version they used on his face that they call "Riding in the car with your head out the window."
    He looks silky and fluffy and smells delicious but senses his times of running on the beach and rolling in something stinky are done for now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so cute! I love your photo's!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I say forget about the trimming. Wilf & Digby are adorable all shaggy!

    wags, wiggles & slobbers
    Murphydog

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm just catching up on your blog, and reading your post for Saturday, today...I wanted to say that I'm so sorry about what happened to your Boyz, and to you as well--It's understandable that they would be uneasy in certain situations. I'm sure you do a great job on your grooming, and I'm sure Wilf & Digby don't complain if you don't! :-) I'm clueless as to what to do with our Wheaten--But a Golden, I can almost do it blindfolded!

    Enjoy your day!!

    ReplyDelete