Saturday, July 16, 2011

Crowned with smiles .



Friday night . Out to the fancy hill top restaurant for dinner . The staff have set up a table in the little paved garden by the petanque court so that Wilf can settle down undisturbed by the holiday hubbub on the terrace . One of those unexpected and unasked for kindnesses that continue to punctuate our journey . The old fellows already eaten but the waitress brings him out a bowl of chicken and rice . You can sense the canine contentment radiating out from under the table .

On our way back to the car we pass the old pilgrimage church . The lights blazing . A Danish choir en route to Santiago performing . The family fellow sits down next to me on the porch steps while ' the font ' goes to fetch the car . Through the mottled wooden door the sound of Tchaikovsky's Crown of Roses . The diction clear in that precise Scandinavian manner . Then Parry's ' My soul there is a country far beyond the stars '. A rare and beautiful piece I've not heard in forty years . Memorable for the line - " there above noise and danger sweet peace sits crowned with smiles " . A Welsh poem , much loved by the Pilgrim Fathers ( and George Washington ) , sung by Danes , set to music by an Englishman and listened to on the steps of an ancient French church by a blind Polish Sheepdog , his Scots companion and of course their Swedish driver. Summer in France profonde . Home at eleven . Wilf dreams , solidly , 'til six.

28 comments:

  1. A perfect evening.

    x (for Wilf!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And add to that all the nationalities represented by those reading about it! Sounds like a wonderful evening, I love that you took Wilf along. Lovely weekend to you and wish me luck as I prepare 'Christmas in July' dinner for eight! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a poignant post Angus, so beautifully written, how lovely that dear Wilf could be part of the evening too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful staff! I wish dogs were allowed to dine in restaurants in the US.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I watched tv last night.

    ReplyDelete
  6. and read by a Malaysian living in Saudi Arabis..:D

    Stormy..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Angus, the wonder of this world we live in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Most beautiful and content polar bear in the world love from Southern Italy Susanne, Daisy and Foxiie

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Apologies everyone - I'm trying to instal a new Dell and it's beating me !

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful evening...

    XXXOOO Daisy, Kendra & Bella

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh how sweet! Also amazing as I hadn't realised that France was a whole day ahead of us, You learn something new every day ;-)

    Have a wonderful weekend, a good luck with installing the new comp. S x x x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well done Sue for spotting the deliberate error . Friday night it was ! Put it down to the installation of the new computer and not a shift in hemispheres !

    ReplyDelete
  14. You know how much I love music, and since I didn't recall either of these arrangements, I looked them up. They really are beautiful pieces that to me, evoke reverence and contemplativeness; both of which I'm sure you felt, which added to your perfect evening together!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would have loved to have heard it too.
    Sending lotsaluv
    MAXMOM IN SOUTH AFRICA

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds absolutely perfect--Heaven on earth.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A very good day and evening indeed! Cheers to Wilfie! Good luck overcoming the computer battles.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A perfect evening indeed. :)

    Blessings and Love,
    Janelle and Maggie Mae


    PS JackDaddy's comment made me laugh out loud, literally :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh my. such beauty all around...
    that wilf was included as a rightful family member... that a special table was arranged... that it ended in such a heavenly way!
    you are blessed dear sir...
    with the place you live, your little best friend and the glorious font,
    and with such talent to share it all with the rest of us. thank you.
    love,
    tammy j

    ReplyDelete
  20. Reading about your lovely, poignant evening, I felt as though I had been transported to your france profonde and could hear the strains of music on the air.

    The only thing missing, of course: what the humans dined on while contented Wilf was enjoying his chicken and rice.

    Thank you, as always, for sharing such delightful moments (as well as the muddy trenches from time to time!!)

    xxx Joan

    ReplyDelete
  21. Angus, I must tell you that this blog about your life in France with your wife and this dog is a blessing to the very depths of my soul. Thank you for sharing this bittersweet journey with everyone. My continued prayers for the 3 of you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are one lucky dog, Wilf!
    Mandu

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a beautiful moment in time! It's not a song I'm familiar with, so I'll have to look a bit for it and see if I can find it. I love your posts like this one, that capture the sweetness of life!

    No Scot shall be beaten by a Dell! I'm sure you'll figure it out!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That's so cool Wilf got to come along on a fancy dinner with you.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a wonderful evening. The small kindness of finding a quiet table so that Wilf will be relaxed and then bringing him a dinner was so sweet.

    Your moments sitting outside the pilgrimage church sounded so serene.

    ReplyDelete
  26. a wonderful evening shared with wonderful company. :)

    the booker man and asa's mama

    ReplyDelete
  27. A moment of absolute perfection. How sweet, and how rare.

    Jed & Abby

    ReplyDelete