Sunday, September 18, 2011

Bliss in the planter.





Wilf finds something interesting in one of the flower planters under the arcades . Whatever it is warrants a full five minutes of intense sniffing and pawing . One of those canine moments when the rest of the world disappears and its just dog and malodorous treasure .

Overnight a strong, unexpected rain bearing wind from the Pyrenees . Had to be . I spent an hour watering the parched garden before going to bed . The weather forecast once again completely useless . This morning ' the font ' busy pruning the sodden roses and filling up vases .

Two bottles of St.Julien and a plate of blinis and foie gras as rugby ' snacks '. France plays Canada this morning . The village green outside the salle de fetes already a tangle of badly parked combine harversters , tractors and white vans an hour before the match starts . The France Profonde of farmers, their five year olds and well trained Jack Russells.

Wilf doesn't get the foie gras but he does get two blinis . If the contented swallowing and careful nose licking are anything to go by , these get full marks . Jonathan Swift got it just about right when he said - " May you live all the days of you life ".

12 comments:

  1. A sniffy dog is a happy dog!

    Unless he's got a cold!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You certainly know how ti do your rugby snacks in the Wilf household. And those roses are beautiful. No wonder Wilf looks so cheery.
    So far so good for England this morning!!
    Cheers!
    Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my brother and family will be at that game, at our hometown of Napier. Enjoy your Sunday brunch watching!!!

    Julie and Poppy Q
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr Swift got it right. We should not waste a single day.
    The roses are gorgeous - at first glance I thought they were peonies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to grin at Wilf's interest in the planter given what I've just posted about--At least Wilf didn't dig the whole thing out!

    I do like the quote--I think living our days and enjoying each moment is something we can learn from our canine companions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now Blinis - but WHERE is the CAVIAR????
    Wilfie lives his days to the fullest - love from Southern Italy Susanne, Daisy and Foxiie

    ReplyDelete
  7. And France won !!!

    Happy Sunday at Wilfee's house. Bisous to my beloved white polar bear.

    AmitiƩs to you Angus, and the Font.

    My husband's question of the day : is Angus supporting France ?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is there such a thing as a well-trained Jack Russell?

    Railbird

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I enjoy flowers in my home. When I had cats in MT, I weekly bought a bouquet. We (the florist and I) soon learned the cats would not bother the flowers with no baby's breath; that was what they would strew throughout the apartment. Reducing and re-distributing the flowers to make them last as long as possible was a joy. Wilf, you look like you're really enjoying that planter.
    @anonymous - well trained Jack Russel sounds like an oxymoron; however, I know of two - one on YouTube named Jesse and my dear friend's Calvin, who is a ham, posing for her photo-shoots. I would not have a Jack as I am not that smart. HA.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both Wilf and Jonathon Swift are very wise. It sounds like Wilf had a fabulous day!

    ReplyDelete