Wednesday, September 21, 2011

A truly comical sight .




Strange behaviour . Pit stops at 1.20 am and 2.15 am . Then awake growling and barking at 3.00, 3.10 and 3.50 . Most unlike Wilf . No interest in going out when the door is opened for him . He finally comes upstairs at 4.00 and sleeps on the Turkish rug outside the dressing room . When I get up at six he's already awake . An unsettled night . A sign that there's discomfort inside? Or maybe something as simple as the sound of the wind in the plane trees or the owls on the church roof ?

He seems happy enough on our morning visit to the bakers and cafe . The end of a croissant from the bakers wife . A slow walk on our way back . Egrets standing on the heads or backs of the cows in the field . At least twenty of them . A truly comical sight . I try to get a photograph but they fly away as we approach. I'll keep on trying .

Home to find a turbaned Madame Bay hard at work polishing the windows in the drawing room . She's got every radio in the house tuned to Radio Nostalgie and is singing along lustily with Mick Jagger . '' I can't get - no - satisfaction - 'Cause I try and I try and I try and I try " . With each repetition of '' I try " she does a little 360 degree dance , waving the duster above her head, chiffon twirling in the slip stream . Our saintly septaguenarian chuckling away merrily to herself.

Victor Hugo once said " there is an unspeakable dawn in happy old age " . Both Wilf and Madame Bay would agree .

18 comments:

  1. You never know what they are smelling... Wilf Or Madame Bay! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forget taking a photo of the Egrets - a photo of Madame Bay swirling around with her chiffon and duster would be an image to capture! AFter reading all that you have written about her, would a photo match or surpass my imagination?

    I hope Wilf has a better night tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a good day after a rough night. We hope you get better sleeps tonight Mr Wilfie.

    Julie and Poppy Q
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes I agree with The Life of Riley I would LOVE to see a photo of this character Madame Bay in one of her outrageous get-ups.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Angus! Your days have such harmony and peace to them, and I hope that your nights will find that again as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perhaps Wilf was communicating with your house ghost? Ach aye! My Scottish mum would say those cows all lying down mean a big rainstorm is on it's way --"an old Highland saying!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love these pensive pictures of the wilfee. maybe it's the change in seasons... sometimes i have trouble myself ... it's a transition...
    or the moon... please anything but the old illness. as long as he christens and chews the croissants and stays by your side... all's right in his little world. (and ours!)
    love,
    tammy j

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can just picture Madame Bay in cleaning mode! Thanks for the morning grin.

    Perhaps Wilf had dealings with your ghost. One just never knows! One thing that has helped us a great deal with Lilac and her unsettled nights is giving her a little Melatonin. It's natural, but it does help her to sleep better (and us, too!).

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's a special place in one's heart for senior dogs (and housekeepers too).

    ReplyDelete
  10. As one of your visitors once said, a dog is all nose! Do you think there might have been some sort of marauding animal in your garden? Maybe a fox or ...?
    Blind though he may be, our Wilf is still on the job; protecting his flock. We love you, dear Wilf.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A great smile with my morning coffee reading of the egrets and then Madame Bay. I do think that Wilf and Madame Bay share similar happy attitudes to life. The 360 deg spins to Mick Jagger's song (does she understand the lyrics?) are too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi there Angus...
    Nostalgie-a-plenty.
    Sending lotsaluv
    MAXMOM IN SOUTH AFRICA

    ReplyDelete
  13. Let's hope tonight is as sound as a pound. Or thereabouts. Perhaps a slice of toast before bed might just settle the old boy? You never know. Keep on going Wilf!

    With love from your Canadian pals,
    Dianna along with Tor, Willow and Tucker (who turns 4 today!!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I saw a mention above about the house ghost, and that was going to be my vote! Louis the Westie sometimes will wake up in the middle of the night, barking and growling up a storm.

    He is communicating with someone/thing, no doubt, and does a great job of keeping them at bay.

    ReplyDelete
  15. In my mind I am picturing Madame Bay twirling and singing and it makes me smile. Hugs for Wilf.

    Blessings and Love,
    Janelle and Maggie Mae

    ReplyDelete
  16. When I act like that during the night, there is usually a possum or a raccoon outside...I know!

    Glad you received some bakery treats for your bravery, Wilf!

    Wyatt

    ReplyDelete