Monday, September 13, 2010

Music to a PON's ears.





Cooler now and darker. Wilfs morning walk delayed until its fully light at seven. Not that he's bothered - he grumpily ignores all pre-walk activity until he hears the front door opening and then hurtles along the corridor and down the stairs. There follows two minutes of pure pandemonium while he noisily reminds us - 'I'm here, I'm here! Don't go without me!'. Outside the leaves along the lane are thick, ideal for perfecting that heavy footed pouncing technique or for rolling in while making a satisfying crunchy ,crinkly sound. This morning just enough of a breeze to lift his right ear to a near ninety degree angle.

The new seasons wines are arriving on the shelves of the hypermarkets. Time for the old stock to be sold off at half price and time for yours truly to stock up for the coming year. How the time flies! The whole experience made even better by the discovery of British style bacon and sausages in a neighbouring deep freeze. Not brands one recognizes but how bad can they be? Bacon and sausage - pure music to my, and Wilfs, ears. At the check out 'the font' sighs in exasperation as the breakfast goodies are rung up - point out this is a bit rich from someone who has just filled the larder with air dried sprat. A new 'Great Britain' section in the main food hall - heavy on pickle,crisps, baked beans and mayonnaise. I survey the display of pot noodles and wonder whether they are a British or American invention.

14 comments:

  1. Bacon and sausage are ♫ music ♫ to a Golden Retriever's and German Shepherd's ears, too☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. The wine looks great, but do the French really buy all that Great Britain stuff? Pot noodle? Well quite possibly. I remember talking to a French Erasmus student at Aberdeen University who said the highlights of her meals out so far has included the full Scottish Breakfast at Morrisons and trip to Burger King as they only had MacDonalds in her home town...
    Cheers, Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are starting our morning walk later too--However one dog who seems to be able to tell time, doesn't believe me when I tell him it's too dark to go for a walk--He insists that it doesn't matter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kettle chips an English food??? Go figure!!!

    Zach

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, but does it go with dill?

    XXXOOO Daisy, kendra & Bella

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a Swedish friend who has lived in London for 30+ years and whenever she comes to the States, she has double servings of fairly crisp American bacon. She can't stand the English stuff! I, on the other hand, prefer the way my Scottish granny cooked it --a wobbly thick ribbon of deliciousness. Petey, ever the diplomat, likes bacon from every nation, from any frying pan!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bacon and sausage....yum!

    Woofs and Licks,
    Maggie Mae

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bacon and sausage sounds better to me than dried fish! I say go for it and stock up! What good is it to live to be a hundred and fifty if you can't enjoy what you eat?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hear that les fish 'n frites are also now popular in France

    ReplyDelete
  10. R does the "I'm here, I'm here, I'm here!" chant too! Your morning walks sound lovely. The sound of walking (or romping) through fall leaves is beautiful. Enjoy all those treats, both you and Wilf.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I forgot - it's a great idea to look back at posts from a year ago to see where I was then. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete